Saturday, August 29, 2009

Kazakh Cuisine




















Gutap - Kazakh Herb Phyllo Pastries


The first cuisine that I will start with is Kazakh cuisine. Kazahstan is situated in Central Asia/Eastern Europe, it borders Russia, China, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Historically, Kazakhstanis were nomadic people. Kazakh cuisine is not vegetarian friendly it mainly consists of meat and dairy.

After a lot of research I did come across many baked goods that are a part of Kazakh cuisine. A custom called dastarkhan (a feast for visiting guests and special occasions) includes a dish called Gutap. Gutap is a fried herb fritter that is served with a delicious dip that taste just like a french onion dip. I have found a recipe online, here is a link Gutap. I am modifying the recipe slightly. I am using phyllo pastry in order to make a healthier version.

No comments:

Post a Comment