Thursday, September 3, 2009

Korean Noodle Stir-fry






This recipe was inspired by Susan's recipe, check out her blog.I loved how she cooked the tofu in the sesame oil, soy, water mixture. I could never get my tofu to brown the way it did after I followed her method. I followed her recipe to a good extent but I did make some modifications.

I used vermicelli noodles instead of buckwheat soba noodles. I checked at all my local groceries stores and nearby asian market, unfortunately I could not find the hot pepper paste. I think I will have to go to Korea Town in New York City to find it. I used Korean BBQ sauce instead. I also used more garlic, used scallions instead of onion and added some chilli garlic sauce. Finally, rather than using sugar to add some sweetness I added some general tsao's sauce (I know its not korean but it added the right sweetness).

Servings: approx. 4

Ingredients:

1 package of vermicelli noodles
8 ounces firm tofu
1 tbsp soy sauce mixed, 1/4 tsp sesame oil and 2 tbsp water (to cook tofu)
2 medium yellow squash into cubes
1/2 bunch of scallions
2-3 bok choy cut in thin slices
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1-2 tbsp of korean bbq sauce (add according how spicy you want it)
1/2 tbsp of chilli garlic sauce
3 tbsp water
1 1/2 tbsp of general tso's sauce
1/4 tsp sesame oil

Boil water and cook the vermicelli for approx. 6-8 minutes, check the instructions on the package for cooking time. Once it is cooked drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.

Heat up a wok and use cooking spray. Once heated add tofu and sesame oil, water, soy sauce. Cook until the tofu browns. Once the liquid has cooked off set tofu aside.

Add cut squash, scallions and garlic and cover for a few minutes till squash looks tender. Add the bean sprouts and cover for about a minute. Add the bok-choy and cover until the bok-choy looks wilt but is still green. Finally, add the korean bbq sauce, chilli garlic sauce, general tso's sauce and soy sauce to taste. Allow for vegetables to simmer in the sauces for about 5 minutes. Finally add the tofu and noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment